[CLUE-Tech] Confused about Samba

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Mar 24 23:42:36 MST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 07:08:46PM -0700, Dave Anselmi wrote:

> > I am having trouble getting started with Samba. All I want to do right
> > now is set up file and printer sharing on my home network.
>
> Hopefully Jed's post will get you going.  There are two issues I can think

Yes, it looks very helpful. Thanks, Jed, and thanks, Dave.

> Second, your machines need to be able to find each other.  Since you're
> using dhcp, and probably not dynamic dns, you're left with WINS.  That's a

Aah ... WINS. I thought that might be useful, but hadn't gotten around
to setting it up yet. Maybe that's the missing ingrediment.

> Probably this is either stuff you don't understand, or already know.  I
> recommend "Linux Samba Server Administration" (Craig Hunt Linux Library) by
> Roderick W. Smith.  It has an excellent section on what the heck all this

Actually, I've even bought that book (for a former employer, unfortunately,
not for myself). I spent a couple of hours in the bookstore browsing all
the Samba books, and felt that Rod Smith's book was the best combination
of thorough, well-written, and up-to-date.
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com