[CLUE-Tech] Problems with FTP

Shapiro, Gary L gary.l.shapiro at lmco.com
Mon Mar 25 12:27:57 MST 2002

I have been having problems receiving files via FTP from another computer,
and I wonder whether anyone has had this experience:

I am running a program on a Windows NT computer which is automatically
receiving files from my Linux computer, processing them, then sending files
via FTP back to the Linux computer. Periodically, the process "hangs" on a
"put" when the sending computer (the NT) does not receive verification from
the Linux computer of completion of file transfer (even though it has
completed). The FTP documentation says that this can happen if the receiving
computer violates the FTP protocol. The only way to continue the program
without restarting is to "kill" the demon from the Linux side. Also, at some
times, I suddenly start getting a message back from the Linux machine which
says "connection refused". I then have to abort the program and I can't send
anything to the Linux machine from anywhere for several minutes, after which
it will usually clear itself. I am running Redhat version 6.2 on an HP
Visualize PL-class workstation.

Gary Shapiro
Lockheed Martin Space Systems/Astronautics Operations
Denver, Colorado