[CLUE-Tech] Problems with FTP

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 12:49:20 MST 2002

I'm not an FTP guru but it sounds like the Linux box is trying to tell the
windows box (via the ftp-control port, check /etc/services) that the
transfer is complete, but the windows box is not getting the message.

* is there a firewall between the linux box and windows box?
* have you tested the setup using another linux ftp daemon?  There are
only about 2 gazillion available, the results might be interesting...
* if you replace the windows box with a linux box (temporarily, I'm
thinking a linux notebook you might have handy...) does the transfer work?
* there is also (i think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong :^) a
new-age ftp protocol that doesn't require a second control connection -
can you use this?
* depending on the software setup, you could probably do the same with
http (particularly if your only sending one file...) and that is pretty
firewall impervious...

--- "Shapiro, Gary L" <gary.l.shapiro at lmco.com> wrote:
> I have been having problems receiving files via FTP from another
> computer,
> and I wonder whether anyone has had this experience:
>
> I am running a program on a Windows NT computer which is automatically
> receiving files from my Linux computer, processing them, then sending
> files
> via FTP back to the Linux computer. Periodically, the process "hangs" on
> "put" when the sending computer (the NT) does not receive verification
> from
> the Linux computer of completion of file transfer (even though it has
> completed). The FTP documentation says that this can happen if the
> receiving
> computer violates the FTP protocol. The only way to continue the program
> without restarting is to "kill" the demon from the Linux side. Also, at
> some
> times, I suddenly start getting a message back from the Linux machine
> which
> says "connection refused". I then have to abort the program and I can't
> send
> anything to the Linux machine from anywhere for several minutes, after
> which
> it will usually clear itself. I am running Redhat version 6.2 on an HP
> Visualize PL-class workstation.
>
> Gary Shapiro
> Lockheed Martin Space Systems/Astronautics Operations
> Denver, Colorado

=====
Keith E. Hellman
kehellman at yahoo.com