[CLUE-Tech] Can't mount floppy on Dell laptop

BJ Tiemessen gonzo99 at holly.colostate.edu
Mon Mar 25 20:09:18 MST 2002

I just got a Dell Latitude CPxH 500 laptop this weekend and got Mandrake
8.1 installed until I get my wireless nic and can install Debian.  Anyway
this laptop has the removable hot swap media bays and I installed useing
the cdrom in the bay and the floppy drive connected to the parallel port.
I had no problem booting from the floppy sence the bios points to the
parallel floppy, and during install I made the boot disk just fine with
the floppy connected to the parallel port.  When I boot into linux I cant
mount the floppy, but the cdrom mounts fine.
I shut down the laptop and swapped the floppy into the media bay but still
no floppy mount.  In fstab shows /mnt/floppy points to /dev/fd0.  I dont
seem to see
any files in /dev that point to parport.  I did find a file called
.xsession-error that reads like this:
Can't open file '/dev/fd0' for reading!
Can't open file '/dev/fd1' for reading!
Cat't open file '/proc/parport/0/autoprobe' for reading!
modprobe: Can't locate module floppy

Does anyone have any idea how to mount the floppy on the parallel port?
Am I missing kernel modules?  Thanks.

--
BJ Tiemessen
Colorado State University