[CLUE-Tech] reverse dns

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Mar 26 10:16:54 MST 2002

We're running sendmail 8.9.3 on a Red Hat linux server.  Am I correct
in my reading of the howto documents that the way to properly
configure reverse dns is thru the named.conf file on our machine?
Any other steps to take with the provider of either the subdomain or
the domain?

We have MX properly mapped thru the main domain already and are
receiving mail.  Our only problem is that some providers have spam
filters in place to bounce if the IPA and the domain name dont
properly reverse map.  Since rdns is mandatory under one of the
rfc's, we really can't fault them.

we want this to map to rmc.sierraclub.org  bsuites.com is our host
for the rmc sub domain.  The IPA is static and belongs solely to us.

"nslookup 207.174.21.6" (getting name) 207.174.21.6 =
207-174-21-6.bsuites.com

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html

I copied the sysadmin so that he can see the explanations directly.

--
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial
-- seen on Usenet