[CLUE-Tech] reverse dns

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Mar 26 20:54:48 MST 2002

Charlie Oriez wrote:

> We're running sendmail 8.9.3 on a Red Hat linux server.  Am I correct
> in my reading of the howto documents that the way to properly
> configure reverse dns is thru the named.conf file on our machine?
> Any other steps to take with the provider of either the subdomain or
> the domain?

You need a 6.21.174.207.in-addr.arpa zone (or some netmask of that) in
named.conf, with a corresponding zone file.  Your provider may need to
delegate that zone to you, same as they did for your domain name.  I
guess that could be different providers for each.

If you're running a name server for real, I'd get the O'Reilly BIND
book.  New edition out that covers BIND 9.

Cricket Liu gave a talk recently on DNS with an eye on security:

http://www.fruug.org/Archive/2002-03/writeup.html