[CLUE-Tech] NTFS mount locks up

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 10:49:05 MST 2002

Hmmm, IIRC (and someone should scream at me if I'm wrong...), using shares
across SMB does not require the NTFS module does it?  I don't recall
needing it before.

After all there IS a smbfs, and if shares across SMB were filesystem
specific, how could we successfully share the bazillion different
filesystems Linux has to windows clients?

The hang may be more of an issue with network connectivity than anything
else...

--- Tim Harris <tdharris at usa.com> wrote:
> I started using Linux a couple of months ago.  I didn't want to stop
> using
> Win2k right away so I installed Linux (Redhat 7.2) on seperate physical
> drive
> and used the NT boot loader to dual boot. I wanted to be able to access
> my
> NTFS, so I soon noticed that Redhat's default kernel doesn't include
> NTFS
> support. I recompiled the kernel to include NTFS read only access. The
> first
> time I mounted the NTFS drive I was able to browse it using "ls" and
> "cd".
> When I tried to "ls" a folder that was set up as a share on my Win2k
> network
> the computer locked up as tight as a drum and I had to a cold boot.
> Anyone
> else have this experience? It probably has something to do with the
> share
> rights in Win2k? But I thought someone could shed some light on this. I
> heard
> that Redhat's kernels are highly patched and may have some
> incompatibilities
> with NTFS. (No wonder they don't include the NTFS module by default). I
> earlier had Mandrake 7.0 on my computer and could browse NTFS drives
> without
> any problems. If this newbie question is off topic, please point me to
> where
> I might find more info about this.
>
> Tim Harris

=====