[CLUE-Tech] Oracle Slower than PostgreSQL on 35000 rows?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 29 21:03:01 MST 2002

Well, I was browsing through the clue-talk archives, deciding whether I
want to subscribe or not, and I came across this post about how Oracle
took 5 minutes to do 20000 of 35000 rows on a simple update using an
embedded subquery. Ya know, I just can't let these things go by without
commenting ;-).

All I can say is, it must have been an awfully poorly tuned
database/instance/server. I've seen much larger queries, against an 800GB
data warehouse chopped from about 12 minutes to under 30 seconds by doing
a bit of fiddling with index statistics. Admittedly, it took a bit of
head-scratching to find out what needed fiddling.

It sounds like the query in question must have been doing full-table
scans. Did you look at an explain plan to see why it was taking so long?

Cheers,
jed

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine