[CLUE-Tech] XP Denver Users Group

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon May 6 17:22:05 MDT 2002

Jokingly, I ask you, "Have you ever used linux?"

Every day, I add to the number of reasons I *don't* run windows.
(begin semi-rant mode, no offense meant)
Example:  I had to build an IIS server. It's a nice dual processor system.
Guess what?  It crashes and reboots all the time.  My linux box does not
do this. If it did, It would tell me something about why it did. Does
windows?  No.

As well:  My windows servers have to be rebooted every few weeks,
otherwise they grind to a halt.  I have a few linux servers at work over
540 days uptime (db, DNS) and many over 200 days.  Most servers go down
for routine maintenence only (i.e. dead tape drive, new parts).

Funny note: I worked with a guy at a store who said NO computer at 166 MHz
would ever run a web server.  Tha's funny, there's a Pentium 120 that,
twice a year, for about a month, runs about 20 (a class on web
programming, and apache admin).  And they respond fine, as well.  It's no
enterprise class server, but it will do a decent job serving up quite a
few hits.

I dislike windows because it crashes, and it really takes away your
ability to configure it's 'look and feel'.

Example:  With windows, I can choose between "Classic" and "XP" style
looks and feels.  They are essentially the same. If I wish, I can change
the colors of my text boxes, titlebars, etc.
In linux, I can choose as I like it:  I use windowmaker.  All of my
terminals are borderless, scrollbarless, semi-transparent, and can be
easily resized with my mouse.  The appear only as a slightly darker box
than the rest of my desktop.  If I want something different-- I fire up
KDE or gnome, or Blackbox, or FVWM, or sawfish, or Enlightenment, ...

Windows crashes a lot, period.  My linux box doesn't.  IT goes down when I
bring it down, or when I accidentally kick it too hard.

Finally, Linux is free, and does not reside under an enormous EULA that
pretty much says, "It's still microsoft's, and you are renting it".  As
well, when I install things, it doesn't crash my entire system, unless I'm
an idiot.

Example:  Father's Dell: Install Roxio CD creator.
Result:  A non-working computer.
Why: You have to install TWO patches BEFORE You reboot AFTER you install
so that you can BOOT again.

Wow, how useful!

(rant mode off).

aam