[CLUE-Tech] vim's join command on large documents answer

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed May 8 23:29:00 MDT 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 10:35 pm, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> I've come up with an answer on using vim's join command on large
> documents, but it's rather funky. With a document of paragraphs with
> open lines in between each paragraph I have to use the below command a
>
> number of times to get it just right:
> :g/[.,a-z]$/j
>
> It sort of works every third try and I have to do it a number of times
> to get a good finished product.  While it works, why the number of times
> versus just once on the whole document?

Hmm.

Sounds like you need an html2txt script / program  There are only about 4
million HTML to TEXT converter scripts out there.  Many feature reformatting
as you are trying to do within vim.  Do a google search on 'html2txt'.

A good html2txt program probably will work better for you.  Unless you want
to write a vim macro script.

Jeff