[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu May 9 15:05:41 MDT 2002

On Thu, 09 May 2002 10:50:13 -0600 Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com>
wrote:
> I'm trying to install a fresh copy of 7.3 on a Tyan Thunder K7 dual
> AMD board that I have with SCSI hard drives.  I have an IDE CDROM
> drive, so this should be an easy thing to do.  I went through the
> entire install, told the bootloader Grub to be installed on my MBR
> like I always have. When the install finishes, my good old computer
> boots up saying OS not found.  And no, I haven't changed anything
> from when I had 7.1 on here, meaning that either the installer
> didn't properly install grub on the MBR, or something else has gone
> wrong.  Has anybody else seen this before?  And what did you do
> about it?  I tried doing an upgrade against the system and going
> through the install again, but with 7.3, if you don't upgrade the
> kernel, it says "bootloader not changed", which is not at all what I
> want to happen.  Can someone tell me if there is another way to
> reinstall grub or lilo without going through the whole install
> again?

Two questions:

1) Was grub (forget about the mbr for now) actually installed on your
system?  Do you have /boot/grub with all the stage... files?  If not,
you need to actually install grub first.

2) If the answer was yes, all you need to do is actually put the grub
boot loader in the mbr, i.e.

	(1) Create the correct /boot/grub/menu.lst file
	(2) From a root console
		grub
		root (hda0,1)  (my linux partion is /dev/hda2)
		setup (hd0)
		quit
	(3) Reboot and enjoy

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.19+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla