[CLUE-Tech] Re: checking whether the computed MD5 sum (from the md5sum utility) is correct

mazi farhang mazi at topoweb.com
Fri May 10 13:38:00 MDT 2002

Hi all,

There was talk a couple of days back about checking for intrusions and/or
trojans by checking the checksum generated by md5sum for software in your
/bin directory (and others) against a "known-good" version.  I was wondering
if there was any reliable place where one could compare the result of the
calculation on their own machine against a number that the repository has
calculated (for example, some place like rpmfind)?  Alternatively, how does
one go about calculating the checksum for a particular binary from the rpm
that generated it (and other binaries, I assume).

Regards

Mazi Farhang
TopoWeb