[CLUE-Tech] Re:"getting insanely frustrated" / Mandrake Permissions

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 04:32:07 MDT 2002

After doing three installs of Red Hat 7.3 and then another install of
Mandrake 8.2 using the "ext3" file system, I found the program which was
overwriting the permissions of "/home/users" was "msec."

"msec" is Mandrake's computer security program and you have to have it
set on "high" as opposed to "standard" to get the system to block one
user from entering another user's territory.

Perhaps Mandrake should rename their "standard" security level as "poor"
since "high" is actually standard.

The only rationale I can think of is that they consider the dominate O$
as "standard" which actually equates to "poor."

The long and short of it is to avoid the "standard" permissions level in
Mandrake 8.2

By the way, "msec" can be easily reset with the Mandrake Control Center GUI.

I changed the security level to "high" on the drive using the XFS file
system and the problem also went away.