[CLUE-Tech] Sawfish questions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri May 10 19:05:04 MDT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002 12:09:32 -0600
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> 1) Numero uno has to be the annoying clipboard issue.  I want to be able
> to have a document open, copy some text out of it, and then paste it
> into another completely seperate application or document with some
> keyboard shortcuts which don't require me to still have the original
> text open and hightlighted - and I hate using my mouse to do this,
> especially having to hit 2 buttons at once.  Is there a way? If not, I
> see that as being a MAJOR downfall for linux on the desktop.

Ctrl-C (copy)/Ctrl-X (cut)/Ctrl-V (paste) work in Gnome applications.
Maybe even in just Gtk applications. Shift-{movement} works to highlight
text most of the time.

> 2) It's very annoying for me to have my monitor go blank after like 10
> minutes of no usuage. I want my screen saver to show instead.  It does
> this whether I'm just at a console or in linux.  What service is this
> and how can I shut it off?

There are some possible combinations going on here. DPMS will blank your
screen, and I think it's on by default in XFree86. Fer example, from my
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

    Option "blanktime"    "9"
    Option "standbytime"  "10"
    Option "suspendtime"  "15"
    Option "offtime"      "20"

I'll note that it wasn't quite behaving right until I put those in. But if
you look at the XF86Config manpage, under the ServerFlags settings, you
should find a way to turn it off completely.

Also, you can issue the command "xset -dpms" in your .xinitrc file (which
you need to create in your home directory) to turn it off.

I'm curious which screensaver you're running. I don't like the way Gnome
interacts with the xscreensaver program, as far as configuring it. It's
own configuring proggy, xscreensaver-demo has some quirks as well. Note
that when starting the xscreensaver daemon, you can specify various DPMS
timeouts - I don't know (assume they do) take precedence over the XFree
settings. Try looking at ~/.gnome/Screensaver to see what Gnome is doing
for (to) you.

jed
--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine