[CLUE-Tech] top and system load

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri May 10 20:45:28 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 20:27, Jason Friedman wrote:
> I've printed below the output from the top command:
>
>    2:25am  up 27 days, 13:12,  7 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.00, 2.00
> 93 processes: 85 sleeping, 7 running, 0 zombie, 1 stopped
> CPU states: 42.8% user, 57.1% system,  0.0% nice,  0.0% idle
> Mem:   383960K av,  380748K used,    3212K free,    1756K shrd,
> 15532K buff
> Swap:  265032K av,      20K used,  265012K free
> 208416K cached
>
> I'm not familiar with the meaning of these numbers.  Is my system being
> barely touched, overwhelmed, or something in the middle?

Deciphering top/ps output should be a FAQ item for all LUGs...  ;-)

Basically, heres what it says:

  - Your CPU is 100% busy with 1/2 the load due to user
    processes and 1/2 due to kernel-space code.  You should
    look to see if you have a "hung" process or something else
    going on.  Take a look at which program(s) are using up
    the CPU cycles and take it from there.

  - Your memory is nearly 100% used but this is very *NORMAL*
    for almost *ANY* load (even very light loads) since the
    Linux virtual memory subsystem (VM) will aggressively use
    memory as a cache for disk access.  A better indicator of
    a memory-congested system is to see the VM digging deeply
    into the swap space.  Which it is not doing in your case.
    But note that even if your system is using a lot of swap
    space then it might just be a lot of sleeping processes.
    Again, look into the per-process memory usage as reported
    by top and ps.

hth,
Ed

ps - I took a look at the Process-Monitor-HOWTO.html at linuxdoc and was
disappointed by how little info it provides.  I think someone should
flesh it out a bit more...

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  URLs:        http://www.eh3.com