[CLUE-Tech] top and system load

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Fri May 10 22:00:07 MDT 2002

The "Load Average" is kind of a thumbnail idea of what load is.  A system
running say, dnetc will have a load of 1, I think . At least, mine did.
It's a kludge of the amount of processes vs. the amount of high CPU time
processes, etc.  The mail server at my college would start freaking out at
around 8-11 during heavy usage (chapel break). Regardless:  I had two
servers (unused at the moment)  with loads of 80 (seriously) because they
both at processes that were spawning their own processes that were
crashed, and taking all of the CPU.  It was like this for I don't know how
long.  Weeks. I had to kill -9 many, many processes to get it back down.
The systems still responded in a timely manner, which is odd.  So
therefore, it's not perfect. My system running dnetc with a load of 1
responds crappier than when I'm compiling, and it's higher than that.

--
Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org
[ http://www.glaven.org ]