[CLUE-Tech] RealPLayer versus MP3, WAV or others

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Tue May 14 20:41:55 MDT 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering who knows how best to "record" off of cassette tape (or
> record ONTO a CD) and trasfer onto a hard drive to be convert the file
> to MP3s or WAVs?  How difficult and how much time would it take to hook
> this thing up?  Is there free software available?

Well... if you have a CD of whatever you're trying to convert, you can
use Grip to
rip the CD to WAV and/or MP3. If you are using cassette you'll need to
be able to connect the cassette deck to your sound card and use
something like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to record the
sound input to WAV, then convert to MP3. Depending on which distro you
have, you might have something that can take input from the sound card
and convert to WAV already installed. I really haven't had any need to
do this myself, but I'm sure there are a half-dozen or more programs
that can do this.

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe