[CLUE-Tech] RealPLayer versus MP3, WAV or others

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 14 23:18:44 MDT 2002

Thus spoke Kevin Cullis
> I was wondering who knows how best to "record" off of cassette tape (or
> record ONTO a CD) and trasfer onto a hard drive to be convert the file
> to MP3s or WAVs?  How difficult and how much time would it take to hook
> this thing up?  Is there free software available?

Just get a cable with female adapters on both ends to hook the tape player
into the mic of your sound card, then do something like

	cat /dev/audio > /tmp/file.au

You can use sox or other tools to convert to a more reasonable format.  The
actual device you use might be different too - it might be /dev/mic or
something.  I'm not that good with audio stuff, but that's the basic
methodology.

The quality of the recording will be based on the sampling rate you use.
Using something like sox you can get a reasonable reproduction of the audio
tape, especially if you're just doing voice audio (ie not music).

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com