[CLUE-Tech] Sawfish questions

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat May 18 20:37:25 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

> Well, I'd just like to restress that this isn't just an X thing - it
> happens when my box is just at the console login, so I don't think
> editing the Xconfig settings will help, am I right?  I thought it would
> be the apmd service, but that apparently isn't it.  As far as my screen
> saver goes, I do think the app used to display them is fairly buggy, but
> it works for me - when I can tell it's running before my monitor goes
> black that is.  I really wish I knew how to make it stop doing that....

Here are some things to try:

run setterm -blank 0
run setterm -powersave off
disable BIOS power management
disable APM support in kernel

There might be an acpi=off argument to pass to the kernel as well (or disable
acpi support in the kernel).  I'd try them in that order, as disabling kernel
things might disable stuff you want - like the machine turns itself off on
shutdown.  Also the two setterm commands can go in your boot scripts once you
know how they work.

I seem to remember the kernel being the thing controlling screen blanking in
console mode but I don't see anything but the above offhand.