[CLUE-Tech] ping fails but sites up?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat May 18 22:07:03 MDT 2002

David Jackson wrote:

> This is a bit of a puzzle? Are good ??friend?? Jim intriglia site:
> http://www.jimintriglia.com site is up but ping hangs and traceroute
> bouces back and forth between these 2 address?  Would this indicate
> name based virual hosting as apposed to IP based.

Both ping and traceroute use icmp messages, which are probably blocked from
reaching Jim's web server.

The repeat entries in traceroute are interesting.  They indicate you're getting
a ttl expired from those particular IPs.  Unless there is a routing loop, or Jim
is doing something unusual in response to pings, I'm not sure why they would
occur.