[CLUE-Tech] Qt/Java developers?

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 07:46:56 MDT 2002

Dan Harris wrote:
*snip*

> 1) If I choose the Qt route, can I use KDevelop to write the code, but target
> the win32 platform easily?  Or should I develop on Win32 if I plan to target
> Win32.

You can write Qt-only apps using KDevelop - so that might work. I'm not
sure, since I'm not really a full-fledged developer, and writing Windows
apps is of little interest. Qt is supposed to work well with Visual C++
and Borland Builder. You should check Trolltech's site. I believe that
Qt for Windows is not free, but I could be wrong.

> 2) What kind of DB support does Qt have?  The VB app uses Jet (Access) for a
> very small database.   I don't need enterprise RDBMS connectivity, just
> something to store simple rows.

I couldn't find the exact verbage on the Trolltech site, but it should
support MySQL and PostgreSQL and probably others.

> 3) What kind of DB support does Java have?  I know about JDBC, but I want
> something small that can ship with the app.  Again, I don't need Oracle
> support, just something quick to save some simple data.
>
> 4) How robust is the widget set in Qt?  Does it have all the things I'd expect
> in an MFC-based environment?

More than likely. It might be slightly different than the MFCs, but you
should be able to do anything a reasonable person would want to do.

> 5) is my perceived speed penalty in Java accurate?  Or have I just seen
> poorly/non optimized apps?

When running a Java app locally, that is running an app that you don't
have to download from a remote site or whatever, it can be pretty quick.
I've never been a big fan of Java applications, but I've used a few that
   don't seem any slower than a Qt application or X application.

You should really check out Trolltech's site - they should have most of
the information you'd want for developing Qt apps.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe