[CLUE-Tech] Qt/Java developers?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue May 21 12:35:17 MDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:46:56AM -0400, Joe Brockmeier wrote:

2) What kind of DB support does Qt have?  The VB app uses Jet (Access) for
> >a very small database.   I don't need enterprise RDBMS connectivity, just
> >something to store simple rows.
>
> I couldn't find the exact verbage on the Trolltech site, but it should
> support MySQL and PostgreSQL and probably others.

I doubt that. As far as I know Qt is just a GUI toolkit, meaning no support
for any databases or other backend-type stuff. That's why KDE has its own
large set of libraries built on top of KDE.

> >3) What kind of DB support does Java have?  I know about JDBC, but I want
> >something small that can ship with the app.  Again, I don't need Oracle
> >support, just something quick to save some simple data.

I haven't found JDBC drivers to be particularly big, have you?

Have you considered Python? If you used Python with the PyQt package and
appropriate DB drivers, you might achieve the right combination of quality
GUI, good database access, and light weight ... certainly lighter than Java.
Python's DBAPI is comparable to JDBC, and there are implementations of it
for most popular RDBMS's ... for WinProducts like Access you could either
use ODBC or ... I don't develop much on Windows so I'm not positive ...
PythonWin or a COM interface.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA