[CLUE-Tech] I just don't understand it

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed May 22 15:08:09 MDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:08:30 -0600
Joe Linux <joelinux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> After a great deal of time consuming effort, I thought I had the
> Mandrake permissions problem solved, but now they have come back as
> before -
> 755.  It seems rather odd to me that on a multi-user system that one
> user can peer into another users files, and you can't do anything to
> stop it.

Hey, on my system, I can set file permissions so even I can't see my own
files. ;-)

> Mandrake Linux is like a glass house with no window shades.

Well, you know what they say: Those who live in glass houses shouldn't
throw stones.

Seriously, AFAICT, this is unique to your system. Finding it might in fact
be a major pain. IIRC, the original problem was that some program is
changing the permissions on a file? Maybe someone already suggested this,
but, as root, do a chattr +i {name of file}. This will make the file
"immutable". Then you can look through your log files, or maybe your cron
status e-mails (sent to root, most likely), for a program reporting an
error on {name of file}.

Presumably, you've looked through all the stuff that runs in the various
/etc/cron* directories for culprits?

jed
--
Got Privacy? http://makeashorterlink.com/?N33052F1

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine