[CLUE-Tech] linux support with RAID

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 16:07:59 MDT 2002

I've never done this before but - you may recall from my whirlwind tour of
LVM during the last KISS session, that I was unable to "snapshot" my ext3
filesystem unless I put the journal on a separate device.  man mke2fs for
more details...

I believe there is snapshoting available with some hardware raid products,
and I wouldn't want you to run into the same problem...

--- Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about building myself a raid array in one of my servers
> using this card:
>
> http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/169773.html
>
> I'd like to do both 0 and 1 striping using 4 drives total, with the ext3
> file system.  Has anyone done this and seen anything that I should be
> aware of?  I'm not sure of the quality of this card, but it looks ok to
> me, and I think that if ext3 is stable enough at this point with the
> latest 2.4.x kernel, I'm willing to give it a shot.
> --
>
>                                 -Mike Staver
>                                  staver at fimble.com
>                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com