[CLUE-Tech] Sawfish questions

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu May 23 08:57:17 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

*snip*

> Yes, I have turned off everything relating to power management in my
> bios, so that can't be the problem.  And I will try the xset option as
> well, but from the url you provided, it looks to me like this is also an
> X thing.  About APM, I really don't think it's running from my process
> listing here:

If it's turned on in the kernel, I don't think it will show up in the ps
listing. Maybe apmd should show up, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't
have any Red Hat machines here, so I can't really dig in and find out
what it might be.

> So, I'm about to give up here yet again.  Oh, and I'm using Red Hat 7.3,
> and it's not specific to any version of Red Hat really, just every
> version I can ever remember using back to 6.0 I think.  So, if this is
> kernel level, it came with the default 2.4.18-X kernel supplied by Red
> Hat, and I don't know where to begin with shutting it down if it's in
> there.  Since we bought Red Hat 7.3 professional, and 7.1 professional
> for that matter, I think I'm entitiled to some phone support with them,
> so I'm going to give them a quick call.  Oh, and I'm not putting down
> linux specifically when I say I'm extremely frustrated with it, because
> I love linux and use it everday, and that won't change.  I just don't
> understand why configuring linux has to be done in so many different
> places and ways.  It seems to me that it could be simplified.

Yeah, I'd say you should be entitled to a little help from RH. They
*should* know immediately what it is.

The downside to community development is that there's no iron hand
guiding development - so configuration of each tool is going to be
determined by the whims of individual developers, then someone has to
put it all together...

If it's in the kernel, you'd need to either recompile the kernel or you
might be able to manually change a value under /proc/apm or something
similar.

On the desktop level, things have gotten enormously simple. I can set up
a box for a non-Linux person to use with KDE and all the requisite tools
and they can use it just as easily as Windows - but it can still be
quite challenging when someone decides to try to look under the hood, so
to speak. In fact, I did set up a computer for a non-Linux friend of
mine and she's been using it since January with no complaints. She
really likes StarOffice and XMMS, and doesn't seem to think KDE is any
harder than Windows.

Good luck with it, I hope you get it solved.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe