[CLUE-Tech] How cool is MDK?

Mike Benavides tipsrules99 at attbi.com
Sun May 26 14:11:35 MDT 2002

Joe Linux wrote:

> My experience with it has been mostly with the AMD K6 approx. 500
> series and it has been excellent.  I don't think it was ever locked
> up.  I have Gforce I DDR and also a Voodoo 3 card.  Both of which have
> worked very well and have not been at all difficult to configure.  The
> only thing that drove me nuts was the "standard" security level which
> is actually very  poor for a multi-user computer with multiple logons.
>
> Mike Benavides wrote:
>
>> Joe Linux wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I'm using.  Be sure to set your security level to "high"
>>> as "standard" is rather poor,  and may cause you some "permissions"
>>> consternation.

>> Jeff:
>>
>> If you need any of Mandrake 8.2 Documentation, I purchased it to
>> throughly test this distro for use as a multimedia machine. Digital
>> Camera downloads, DVD and CDRW etc...USB on my Athlon 1.7 XP 512DD
>> machine.  I have been have trouble with the hardware stablility.  I
>> am presently working with Mandrake to work out the bugs.  I have a
>> Init Id "x" responsing too fast: in XFree86.... It locks up the
>> machine..... I suspect it may be the kernel level Geforce Nvida
>> Driver....
>>
>> Mike

> Joe:

When I ran may install I never use the standard security settings since
Mandrake leaves too much open for the world to see. I am testing this
distro for the Installfest.... Have you thought about running a security
audit on your system? I ran one on NMAP my router and found open
ports....that needed to be closed.... Just some thoughts.

Mike