[CLUE-Tech] United Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu May 30 19:42:37 MDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 19:20:07 -0600
Richard Knechtel <rknech at pcisys.net> wrote:

> Bad thing about UnitedLinux.... The source will all that will be free...
> Binaries will not be - you have to pay for them.
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=33451&threshold=1&commentsort=0&tid=88&mode=thread&pid=3613609#3613738
<snip>
> Well, looks like SuSE 8.0 was the last good version of SuSE.
> What a pitty, it was a great distro!

> >Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> >
> >>This is a combined effort of Caldera, SuSE, Turbo,
> >>and Conectiva distributions.
> >>
> >> From Slashdot.org, the link is
> >>http://www.unitedlinux.com

I didn't pick up on SuSE, et. al. abandoning their respective distros.
This appears to be directly targeted at the commercial market, with a view
towards providing not only a cross-vendor Linux distribution, but also
cooperatively tested hardware certified Linux platforms for businesses.

I read the SuSE press release, and it didn't say anything about abandoning
the home user, or no longer offering their own distribution.

http://www.suse.com/us/press/press_releases/archive02/united_linux.html

jed
--
Got Privacy? http://makeashorterlink.com/?N33052F1

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine