[CLUE-Tech] Funky network problem...

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Fri May 31 22:35:52 MDT 2002

Hi Guys,

I eventually figured out where the problem lies.

Whilst setting up the computer, it was always connected to an ethernet
switch by at least 25 feet of cable. Networking worked fine. So when
everything was setup, I moved the computer on the shelf next to the
switch, connecting to the same port with a 3 foot cable.

	hort cable run = GOOD

Network does not work. In fact networking refused to work with 5 foot
and 7 foot cables. Both 14 foot and 25 foot cables work fine
(full duplex too). Go figure.

	Ethernet switch is better than ethernet hub.

Lets try again. When I connect the computer with any cable to the
hub, it works. However, not full duplex. Now that is what I call
really screwball.

FYI, the computer had two Linksys LNE100 cards. I decided to ditch
both cards.

I now run with an SMC 1244 10/100 Mbs on the internal interface and
an old 3Com Etherlnk III 10 Mbs on the external side. Connections
to the ethernet switch by short cables. Everything now works fine.

Match