[CLUE-Tech] United Linux

Joe Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 20:56:44 MDT 2002

Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Thursday 30 May 2002 09:13 am, Crawford Rainwater wrote:
>
>>This is a combined effort of Caldera, SuSE, Turbo,
>>and Conectiva distributions.

> Anyone else for / against the per seat proposal?

As long as they don't violate the GPL, I'm not adamantly opposed to it -
but I'd never buy a distro that has a "per seat" license. This is one of
the reasons I wanted to get away from Windows - after I bought a second
computer for my home and realized that, technically, I was supposed to
be buying two licenses to use Windows just because I installed it on two
machines that only I used. Sorry, but that just didn't seem like a very
good deal to me.

I realize that SuSE, Caldera, et al are in this to make a buck and
sometimes what they do ends up helping the Free Software / Open Source
effort - but a "per seat" license is exactly what most companies want to
get away from with Free Software and Open Source. So... even if the
costs are lower than Microsoft's per seat licensing, you're no longer
offering one of the main benefits of using Linux. If all the companies
pursue a fee for each machine, this plan may backfire and make Red Hat
stronger instead of weaker.

AFAIK, Caldera is the only one that actually plans to do "per seat"
licensing, as they are now. To me, that's just trying to shoehorn Linux
into the Microsoft business model - and if you're going to support that
business model, then you might as well just keep using Microsoft or
proprietary UNIX.

Now - a "per seat" support fee would be another matter entirely. That's
entirely reasonable. The companies who need/want support might be happy
to sign up for support per user/machine. But if I already employ several
top-notch admins, I probably don't need the support and I'll go with a
distro that I can download or buy one or two boxes and stick it on all
the machines that I want. I realize that this poses a bit of a problem
for a company that's trying to make money selling software in a box, but
it's not in my interest to subsidize a broken business model - which is
exactly what proprietary software/per seat licensing is.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe