[CLUE-Tech] United Linux

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 23:39:45 MDT 2002

At first I thought it was a great idea, but now that I've read a little
more it seems like it should be called Loser's United Linux.  If you
look at who has joined together, it's all the distributions that don't
have much success with average users - sort of a collection of
wanna-be's.   I have tried each of the distributions, but as a person
with  an exclusive interest in a desk top linux distribution, none of
them have cut it.  SuSE 7.3 flat out refused to install on my machine,
and it would be too expensive to purchase SuSE 8.0 only to gamble on
whether or not it would install.  A friend of mine in Hawaii has SuSE
8.0 professional, but he told me to stick with Mandrake.  Caldera was
okay, but it is annoyingly secure wouldn't allow me to configure ICEwm
the way I want.   Turbo 7.0 ended up being unstable although it had a
very nice installer.  So it seems that each has a comparatively tiny
market share.  At the moment, I feel Mandrake is best, but in the long
run we "hobbyists" who are interested in an alternative to M$ could end
up moving to pure Debian.