[CLUE-Tech] How safe is it?

Dusty Campbell dmcambpe at ouray.cudenver.edu
Sat Nov 2 23:34:33 MST 2002

With Apache you should be able to htpasswd a directory so that no one
could get to it.  You would just want to make sure that you put your
.users file somewhere not Internet accessible like above the html
directory.

Here is a link I quickly looked up on Apache's site explaining this
option:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

I am not that advanced in PHP or Perl, but others should not be able to
see the source code for in either case since only the HTML is sent to
the browser.  Unless you actually include important information in the
HTML.  I have seen password protection using JavaScript.  The password
was supplied in the HTML code itself.  Still htpasswd would be the best
option.

--Dusty