[CLUE-Tech] How Safe Is It, part II

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.us
Tue Nov 5 19:13:52 MST 2002

Wow, thanks again for the good suggestions.  Lot's of options
to explore.

Dave A. asked:
"Tell us what you mean by safe--secret, correct, or available."

I want to be able to write student labs and have them in my
/var/www/html tree.  I also want the solutions there in a
subdirectory so they are tracked with the assignment.  The
server is physically in my office and the student lab is in the
next room, so I can get anywhere in the /var/www/html tree as root.
I'm wondering if it's simple enough to just chmod 0700 and have
the owner root on the solutions subdirectory.  Students can find
it, but they shouldn't be able to descend into it.  I couldn't
either from the browser, but that's okay -- I don't need to
from that side.

I also want to be able to back up the website and have a snapshot
of what the students see, and the solutions to the exercises and
exams.  It's constantly changing content and I want to have it
in one place, just not all of it accessible to students through a
browser.

Thanks again for the many suggestions.

---
Roger Frank