[CLUE-Tech] How safe is it?

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.us
Tue Nov 5 03:38:07 MST 2002

I want to have some content in my /var/www/html directory that
has restricted access.  How safe are these scenarios:

1.  I put it there in a subdirectory with no link and an unlikely
    name, such as /var/www/html/t87mz3q/secret_stuff.
    (I question, for example, if httrack can be set to mirror
    everything, or if one can somehow get to the /var/www/html
    directory and do the equivalent of an `ls` command.)

2.  I put it on a link, such as "Solutions to Student Labs", that
    is password protected, probably using a PHP intermediate page.
    (Here, I'm wondering what can be done with viewing the page
    source and following it.  Are PHP or PERL or any password
    page/link protection schemes solid?)

3.  Other scenarios that work, other than "Don't put the data there
    if you don't want it compromised".

Many thanks.

---
Roger Frank