[CLUE-Tech] Kernel compilation question

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Nov 13 11:08:47 MST 2002

Mike Miller wrote:
> I'm trying to compile in NTFS (readonly) support into RH8 and am running
> into a brick wall. 'Make Modules' fails out. In an attempt to see if I
> could just compile the 'base' kernel configuration, I ran 'make
> oldconfig' which, in theory, lets you build the kernel that ships with
> RH8.
>
> That fails at 'make modules' too:
[...]
> /home/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/linux/skbuff.h:1082: internal error:
> Segmentation fault

A seg fault seems like a compiler bug.  Perhaps you can find out what
the kernel maintainters use and use the same version of gcc.

> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
> make[3]: *** [synclink_cs.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/src/linux-2.4.18-14/drivers/char/pcmcia'

If you don't need pcmcia, you can change the config to skip these
drivers.  Is this the same place your new config failed too?

Doesn't RH8 already have an NTFS module built?