[CLUE-Tech] Kernel compilation question

Mike Miller mmiller1106 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 11:54:53 MST 2002

> > That fails at 'make modules' too:
> [...]
> > /home/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/linux/skbuff.h:1082:
> internal error:
> > Segmentation fault
>
> A seg fault seems like a compiler bug.  Perhaps you can find out what
> the kernel maintainters use and use the same version of gcc.

Hmmm. The one that works points linux-2.4 to linux-2.4.18-17.8.0...at
lease one that doesn't work points to 2.4.18-14...wonder if THAT'S the
cause. Lemmie get the right version on the failing box and see if that
makes a difference...

Another thing I'm noticing is: gcc fails out at different places each
time. If it encounters a problem, does it SKIP the code that's causing a
problem, or will make bzImage attempt to build everything, each time you
call it?

Gcc failing at different places makes me wonder if the problem might not
be hardware in nature...

> Doesn't RH8 already have an NTFS module built?

'Mount ntfs' gave an error that support wasn't compiled into the
kernel...that was with the default kernel installed from the psyche CDs.