[CLUE-Tech] Is someone trying to hack me?

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu Nov 14 12:50:55 MST 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:55:16AM -0700, Michael J. Miller wrote:
> Any recommendations on hardening a linux box that's _slightly_ exposed
> to the outside world?
>
> I've got a Redhat 8 server that's got a default apache install, behind a
> linksys firewall...ports for http and SSH are the only available ports.

If you don't have a subscription to Red Hat Network (rhn.redhat.com),
you should really consider doing so.  It's only $60/year/system, and more
than worth the price.  And actually, if this is your only Red Hat system,
Red Hat gives you a complimentary subcription, so it may even be free for
you.  I have a number of systems on RHN, and it's more than worth the
money.  I can see at a glance which systems need to be updated (via a
secure web interface), and can schedule any updates from a single
interface.  You can even keep your kernel updated through RHN, although
I've been a little shy to try it on a production system. :)

This doesn't harden your system, of course, but it goes a long way towards
that goal.  I've used RHN for about a month now, and am so happy I don't
have to do this manually anymore.

(ObDisclaimer: I don't work for or profit from Red Hat)

-k