[CLUE-Tech] Is someone trying to hack me?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Nov 14 15:51:20 MST 2002

Here's what I do to keep 'safe': Make sure I'm patched. Run portsentry,
even on the inside.  Run logsentry.  Run Snort. Watch things carefully.
Making sure you have the newest versions only goes so far.  you have to
make sure people aren't poking around where they shouldn't be, and when
they do, they need to be gotten rid of. Since I installed portsentry on my
work machines, literally hundreds of Ips have been blocked from hosts that
scan/poke around. I couldn't have been happier.  I'm a bit anal (hourly
log combs, tripwire, portsentry) but the second someone gets in, hopefully
- *hopefully* - I'll know about it.