[CLUE-Tech] Install redhat 7.3 woes

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 15 21:18:16 MST 2002

Collins wrote:
> [ snip ]
>
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:00:20 -0700 John and lynne <jwlikes3 at attbi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have an old k-5 233 box with a no-name ne2000 isa card that has
>>happily been working with Redhad 6.0, but I decided to update to
>>Redhat 7.3, and play around with a more modern Gnome and KDE
>>release.  I have tried doing a "from scratch install and I cannot
>>get the NIC card to be recognized, although it works fine under RH
>>6.0.

It sounds like the NIC driver isn't loaded.  Meaning it isn't compiled
in and the module isn't getting loaded.  Do you have lines in
/etc/modules.conf that say:

alias eth0 ne
options io= irq=

The first gets you the right module for eth0.  The second is from the
kernel docs that says you have to tell the card what irq and io port to
use (sounds like you may have that already).  How well do you understand
modular kernels?

If the above doesn't work, you may need a utility to set the card irq
and io (I had some ISA 3com cards like that).  But it sounds like that
won't be necessary.

> 1. delete all partitions with a linux floppy recovery system or a
> CDROM (most distro's install CDs work fine), redefine the partitions
> the way you want them, and DD the start of all partitions to nulls.

What Collins means is this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

That will wipe the MBR of hda.  You might also do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=512 count=1

(and maybe do that first).  Your NT install should manage to be bootable
if you do the "set up a partition" and format steps.  But other
partitions and the bootable flag might be messing with you.