[CLUE-Tech] bash - find, xargs, chmod

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 08:33:05 MST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 08:43:40PM -0700, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> 'Frustrating that this should work and xargs doesn't.  I tried
> quoting the the default argument operator "{}" with no success.
> Getting rid of the the -i and {} didn't help either.  It still
> failed on the unmatched single quote.  But find's exec handled
> it fine.

Pure speculation:  find probably sets up and runs the -exec
parameters explicity; thus avoiding shell parsing of tokens.  xargs
probably uses system() or invokes shell (/bin/sh -c) on the commands it
forms.

The devil's in the details :^)
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard

It's a small world. So you gotta use your elbows a lot.