[CLUE-Tech] bash - find, xargs, chmod

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Fri Nov 22 08:29:46 MST 2002

David Willson <dlwillson at thegeek.nu> writes:

> OK, I have a large sub-tree of stuph.  I want the directories set as
> 2770 (rwx and setgid), and the files set as 2660 (rw and setgid).  So I
> launch the following commands:

I think that the X option to chmod would have done the trick as well.

$ chmod -R +Xrw directory_name

The X option (quoting from the man page):

  execute only if the file is a directory or already has execute
  permission for some user (X)

In other words, executables stay executable, and directories get the
executable bit set as well.

-Dale

--
Now playing:
06-football_match

Better to have endured moments of sheer terror, than to have died having
lived life a coward.

A good solution now is better than a perfect solution tomorrow.
- From debian-curiosa

Payin' the bills with my mad programming skills.
- Weird Al