[CLUE-Tech] bash - find, xargs, chmod

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 22 10:37:10 MST 2002

David Willson wrote:
> I hadn't thought of this (+X, that is), and normally, that would be the
> right way to get it done, but in this instance, I am fixing problems at
> the backside of a Samba share, and I want to 'explicitly turn off'
> execute on all the files.  I wasn't explicit enough, sorry.
>
> I'm going to try the find -exec solution later today, and thanks for all
> the help!

Well, since windows and unix permissions don't map especially well it
may not be terribly significant whether the files are executable or not.
  If it is, you can consider mounting the share's partition with the
noexec option.

You might also look at find's -perm.  It can be handy for identifying
permission patterns you don't want.