[CLUE-Tech] Motherboard Recommendations

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Nov 22 19:23:33 MST 2002

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents here - ABIT makes very good AMD based
motherboards in my opinion.  I've had ASUS boards before, and not that
they were bad, but I find the extras that come with ABIT to be well worth
the few extra bucks.  I don't think "being linux compatible" will be an
issue.  Every motherboard I have purchased over the last 6 years has
worked with a stock linux distro or kernel.  If I were building a new
system right now, this is what I would buy from www.mwave.com:

MSI K7N415 PRO NVIDIA nFORCE 415D CHIPSET ULTRA ATA100 ATX FORM FACTOR
1xAGP(4X)/5xPCI/1xCNR/3xDDR W/ LAN & AUDIO Detail Specs (CPU TYPE:AMD
DURON, ATHLON) $93.28

Why MSI instead of ABIT?  Well, I couldn't find any ABIT nForce
motherboards.  The nforce motherboards are the best out there for Athlons
right now because of one thing - dual channel DDR, and that makes a huge
difference in performance.  What you would really want is an nForce 2
board, but those will cost a lot more.  For example, if I had the money to
burn, I would own this board:

ASUS A7N8X DLX NVIDIA nFORCE2 CHIPSET ULTRA ATA133 ATX FORM FACTOR
1xAGP(PRO)/5xPCI/3xDDR W/SATA, DUAL LAN, 1394, USB 2.0 & AUDIO Detail
Specs (NO STOCK - Estimate arrival on 11/29/02)  $145.12

Serial ATA, ATA133, dual channel DDR, 333 FSB, what more could you want??

As far as linux goes... I don't see why it wouldn't run on this system.
Granted, they are new boards and chipsets, but from what I understand, it
runs on the original nforce, so it should run fine on nforce2 - and if it
didn't work flawlessly now, you know it will in a few weeks when someone
fixes it :)  If you don't want to go for nforce, then I can promise you
that any motherboard based on these chipsets work awesome because I have
tried them:

VIA KT133
VIA KT266
VIA KT266A
VIA KT333

Obviously, a KT333 coupled with a new athlon XP 2800+ with a FSB of 333
would be quite impressive.

--
				-Mike Staver
				 staver at fimble.com