[CLUE-Tech] my neighbor has an access point

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sat Nov 23 21:25:39 MST 2002

hello cluebies,

I have an interesting problem.  I have a 'secure' wireless access point
running in my house which works fine - passes out 192.168.2.0/24 dhcp
addresses so I can run correctly on my LAN and use NFS and lpd
resources, as well as ssh to hosts which are protected by tcp-wrappers
from most of the internet.

Now, someone in my neighborhood has set up an access point which my
laptop seems to like to connect to.  If I am on the other end of the
house from my own wireless hub, the laptop will grab the alien hub and
get a (useable) 10.10.0.x/ppp address (mask=255.255.255.255 -
gw=10.10.0.1) I can access the web and such from this config, but not my
own LAN or my secured hosts.

Questions:

How can I learn more about this hub?

How can I tell my own (mandrake 9) laptop not to use it, but to use my
own hub instead? (So far I have been setting the laptop next to the good
hub and HUPping the PCMCIA services to force it to use the right hub.)

What other tools are useful for exploring the wireless universe?

aloha,
dave