[CLUE-Tech] Detecting a running process (from script)

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Oct 2 10:46:40 MDT 2002

* Sean LeBlanc (seanleblanc at americanisp.net) wrote:
> I remember (quite a few meetings back) where detecting a running process was
> being discussed. I think someone or someones mentioned a flag for either ps
> or grep in which it would reliably filter out the "ps | grep foo". Ring any
> bells?

If I understand correctly, I saw this a while back.  It is a hack, but a
brilliant one:

ps aux | grep [m]ozilla

Just put the first letter in brackets.  It does not affect what grep
matches (it still finds mozilla), but it change the name of the ps
process so that it won't show up.  That is not my invention, but I don't
remember where I saw it.

Tim