[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail and IPtables

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Oct 4 08:02:37 MDT 2002

Jim Ockers wrote:
[...]
> The problem is not anything to do with sendmail, since telnet is not able
> to establish the socket to remote:25 either.  We have seen this with various
> remote IP addresses.  Again, most remote servers work just fine for accepting
> connections from our server to port 25; but a few give TCP SYN timeouts.

Could ECN be the problem?  I've heard it interferes with web sites, not
mail, but I don't know much about it.  Traceroute reaches the problem
machines, right?

> Netcat!  That's a good idea.  I'll have to look for it & how to use it,
> because I've got another system with the same problem.  We were using
> "telnet hostname 25" or "telnet i.p.ad.dr 25" as our test mechanism.

Here's the link:

http://www.atstake.com/research/tools/nc110.tgz

There's a readme there too to tell you how it works.  Telnet is fine for
manual testing, and I've scripted it on Solaris.  On SuSE 7.2 netcat is
better for scripting.  I do this:

netcat -zw5 host port

and test the return value.  The -w5 keeps it from waiting too long when
the server is down.  The -z closes the connection as soon as it's made
(handy).  This gets a little tricky for testing UDP though.

> Here's one mail server that doesn't work with our 2.4.18 kernel but works
> with other kernels:
>
> [39] root at agadez:/home/root > telnet mta01.cdpd.airdata.com 25

I have a Debian 2.4.18 kernel (on a DEC Alpha) that can do this.  I'll
send you the config.  Obviously there will be a bunch of differences,
but maybe something will jump out in the network options.