Of Editors and Makefiles (was Re: [CLUE-Tech] LINUX Programming Fundamentals)

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Oct 7 09:02:47 MDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 08:40:05AM -0600, David Anselmi wrote:

> Cool.  Some people seem to think wysiwyg is necessary, nice to find
> someone using emacs.  I'm much more comfortable with vi but it would be
> nice to work with an emacs guru to learn more about it.
>
> Does emacs have any functionality that helped you position the purple
> arrows (like on http://bille.cudenver.edu/flexnet/linpro/make1.html)?

Which got me looking at the page ... earlier this, after five years with
Emacs, I got fed up and switched to Vim. I've had very few regrets, but
every now and then I wonder if I missed some cool feature that should
have impelled me to stay ... positioning purple arrows sounded cool.

But anyway, looking at the page I notice this passage regarding
makefiles:

  The first character on the command line must be a tab.

Are you *serious*? Not just whitespace, but a an actual tab character? I
have to know what genius came up with that, and what they could have
been thinking.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA