[CLUE-Tech] Managing multiple servers (long)

Jeffrey Brown JABrown at co.jefferson.co.us
Mon Oct 7 11:49:55 MDT 2002

Well I thought I'd sound off on this as well. As long as you're
considering an open source *nix OS & packaging applications may I
suggest BSD or Gentoo.

Caveat — I run RH Linux mostly as a client, I run OpenBSD mostly on
the server side, I have not experimented at all with Gentoo and I don't
fall in line with managing 8+ Linux servers. FWIW.

With that said, BSD's have a great ports system much like RPM's
however, all the dependencies are "fetched" upon the install, really no
manual labor involved "fetching" all other needed dependencies. I've
read a bit about Gentoo's ports system and the similarity to BSD's but
that's about it. As I recall I've seen someone on the list signing their
email with "Gentoo 1.1.0 since 1/1/02" (or something like that), perhaps
they could speak to that OS much better than I could.

Jeff