[CLUE-Tech] OT: Someone "borrowed" my domain name

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Oct 7 14:28:12 MDT 2002

Aargh!

It seems someone pretending to be

  "Phil Klein <phil-klein at havenrock.com>"

has been sending an e-mail virus to various and sundry people on the
Net. I know this because, as the owner of havenrock.com, I get all mail
for unknown recipients in the domain. So I've got a pile of bounces and
a few complaints. As far as I can tell, the only connection to me is the
From: header with my domain name--according to the headers in the
bounced messages, all of them originated from a single IP address in the
Netherlands and didn't pass through either my own machine or my ISP's
mail server (do bounces include all headers from the original message?).

So I don't think I have a security issue. But obviously I don't like
someone using my domain name this way (well, at least they didn't
pretend to be <mgushee at havenrock.com>!). Is there a law against that? If
so, is there a way to get it enforced?

--
Matt Gushee