[CLUE-Tech] Gnome Trouble and Projector question

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Oct 7 15:13:41 MDT 2002

Yes, these two are related, although it mightn't seem so right off.

Based on the assumption that the projector CLUE uses can't do more than
1024x768 (somebody, I think told me this), I decided it would be easier to
set up a new user on my box for running the presentation, so's I don't
have to mess with my Fvwm config for running a lower res. than normal.
Then, just to make things easier (or so I thought) for myself, I figured
I'd just fire up Gnome, instead of putting together an Fvwm desktop for
that user.

But, running Gnome has now become a problem. The panel app. segfaults. I
can't think of a thing I've done to cause this to happen. I did finally
notice that OpenOffice spewed various gunk around in my .gnome
directories, but I've cleaned all that up (AFAICT using rgrep). I removed
OpenOffice, BTW, using the time honored rm -rf command. ;-) Don't recall
seeing any uninstall instructions with it.

So, basic question is: where in heck does gnome write error/debug info.
Not in /var/log/messages, or my X logfile either. It's an RH 7.2 box,
Gnome 1.4.

Or, to make things really easy on me, can the projector do 1280x1024?

TIA
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5