[CLUE-Tech] OT: Someone "borrowed" my domain name

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Oct 7 20:52:00 MDT 2002

Tee hee! This happened to me last week.  I don't necessarily think it's
someone deciding to use your domain however.  I think bugbear (the one
that used my domain) just grabbed a few things. The from address was like
this:

NUA Internet Surveys <surveys at iconideas.com>

Obviously, the message was sent to many people, and one of the dude was
running something called VirusGard [sic] and I got a phone call.  He was
understanding, knew it most likely didn't come from me, but just wanted me
to be on the lookout, anyhow. I'm not aware of the legality of doing
something like this, but it's perfectly do-able.  The problem is when
people don't know how to look, assume, and then get in a tiff.  (I'm not
saying you, I was in a tiff at first, too, until I realized I could do
nothing about it).  The only thing you CAN do is possibly post a message
on your site explaining what happened (that's about verbatim from what I
got from the dude that alerted me).

There's really nothing you can do. You can complain, but I've found that
foreign ISP's don't give a flying rodent's rectum about anything out of
their country.  I've got a LOT of that crap going on right now, and
there's nothing I can do but handle the connections as I do.  (Portsentry
helps, though).

But I digress.  just keep your eyes peeled, see what happens.

--
Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org
[ http://www.glaven.org ]